With Anthony & Georgia
A weekly podcast exploring the events unfolding in this season of racial upheaval and change.
This week, Georgia recaps the new developments in the trials including the new federal charges, aggravated sentencing, and the continued need for pressure on leaders to make changes. We also welcome P.J. Hill to discuss his work in the community and how building wealth can be a lever to address the ongoing racial disparity that undergirds our systemic challenges in Minnesota.
Racial Reckoning: The Arc of Justice is a journalism initiative, created by Ampers, KMOJ, and the Minnesota Humanities Center, covering the trials of the former Minneapolis police officers charged with the murder of George Floyd, the community’s response, and the changes needed to create a more just society.
Bearing Witness is produced with support from the Minnesota Art’s and Cultural Heritage Fund. Online at https://racialreckoningmn.org/
After another turbulent week of legal motions around the murder of George Floyd, Anthony and Georgia check in with community organizer, artist, and mama (not only to her babies, but youth throughout the state) Mary Anne Quiroz.
Racial Reckoning: The Arc of Justice is a journalism initiative covering the trials of the former Minneapolis police officers charged with the murder of George Floyd, the community’s response, and the changes needed to create a more just society.
The project employs seasoned reporters, as well as up-and-coming broadcast journalists from BIPOC communities, to create daily updates, weekly updates in Hmong, Somali, and Spanish, as well as in-depth weekly radio shows and podcasts exploring criminal justice reform, community healing, community resiliency, and more. The Minnesota Humanities Center will use the content that’s created to engage grassroots leaders from BIPOC communities in a series of listening sessions and public events to deepen dialog and spark change on issues arising during the trial. Additionally, the Minnesota Humanities Center will work with youth organizations and schools to provide teachers and students with tools for approaching controversial public issues responsive to current events. The long-term goal of Racial Reckoning: The Arc of Justice is to work toward changing problematic racial narratives in local news media, engage communities, amplify community solutions to narrative change, and empower educators to discuss race in the classroom.
This week, we cover the legislative fight brewing around reforms to policing while checking in with local artists and front-line activist Lewiee Blaze about how he is living through his voice in this moment of reckoning. Guest: Lewiee Blaze.
Subscribe to hear Bearing Witness in your podcast feed every week
- Soul-CollectiveOn this episode, Anthony and Georgia discuss the recent violence enacted on protesters demanding justice for Winston Smith and check in with local poet and executive director of TruArtSpeaks Tish Jones on how she is experiencing this moment from a collect
- Soul-MatesThis week, Anthony and Georgia recap recent developments in the Winston Smith Case along with their spouses who have been experiencing this moment both as themselves and in support of their partners covering this reckoning real-time. Guests: Alanna Gallow
- Soul-ReportOn this episode, Anthony and Georgia discuss the recent developments at George Floyd Square and the connections to the 100 year anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre. They also check in with Feven Gerezgiher and Samantha HoangLong, two of the young repor
- Soul-OverwhelmedOn this episode, Anthony and Georgia discuss the confluence of an overwhelming number of events from the anniversary of George Floyds murder, the shots at George Floyd Square on the day of the anniversary, to the splintering of community efforts to addres
- Soul-ComeuppanceIn this episode, Anthony and Georgia explore the nuanced layers of POLICE KILLINGS, internal community violence, and the recent developments in the Potter case. They also check in with community elder Melvin Carter Jr, former officer and executive direct